Thursday, February 11, 2010

Using Voicethread as a CALL Tool

Now that I have looked at some Voicethread examples to see how it is used, I think that it could be a useful CALL tool. I also believe that it has some limitations.

I like that students can respond to a posted video file, photo, or sound file on their own time and at their own pace, as Voicethread is an asynchronous CALL tool. I would consider using Voicethread in an ESL classroom by assigning audio/text posts as homework. Perhaps, the students could respond to a photo/video that is related to the previous class discussion, allowing for an opportunity for additional vocabulary practice (and, hopefully, more of a likelihood of vocabulary retention). In the audio supplement to a photo or video, I would pose questions geared towards fluency practice. I probably would not use Voicethread for accuracy-based activities.

1 comment:

  1. I also thought that Voicethread could be used effectively as a supplemental tool for interacting with multimedia. It's an interesting way to combine visual, text, and audio. Why wouldn't you use it as an accuracy-based tool? What are the limitations do you think?

    ReplyDelete