Sunday, May 2, 2010

CALL Class at UIC

I have learned some valuable ideas for the use of CALL tools in the ESL classroom. Prior to taking the CALL class, there were many CALL tools that I had never even considered using. If the resources are available, I think that I would incorporate e-journaling on blog sites as part of the course design. Since I have learned how to edit and produce a podcast, I can see myself using my own podcasts within contextualized lessons.

I have occasionally used some Internet sites in my own ESL classroom, and as long as I have access to computers at a course location, I will continue to do so. The ones that my students generally seem to prefer are those that allow for learner choice. I currently teach in a community context, and many of my students have no computer experience, so user-friendly self-access exercises seem to work well. In an English for Academic Purposes context, I think that I would be more likely to incorporate CALL tools, as there may be a higher likelihood that the students would be proficient in using computers.

No comments:

Post a Comment