Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Previous Experience with CALL

I have been using computers in the ESL classroom for over a year. I try to incorporate a computer-based activity into my lesson plans once or twice a week. I use Internet sites to supplement material that we have been working on in class as well as to expose students to useful websites. For example, I have had students use Mapquest (http://www.mapquest.com) to explain how they get to class from their homes as part of a direction-giving lesson.

Most of my students enjoy the interactive nature of using Internet sites during class. They find the following website to be useful for vocabulary practice: http://www.languageguide.org/english/. This online picture dictionary includes both visual and audio elements. One can scroll over a picture of a vocabulary item and see the spelling and hear the pronunciation of a word. Check it out if you have a chance!

Question(s):
Do you find the Language Guide website to be useful? Why or why not? (If you have used such a tool in a class, how does this picture dictionary compare to others that you have encountered?)

7 comments:

  1. I think this site could be potentially be very useful. As someone who thinks visually and often uses visual mnemonics to memorize vocabulary and phrases (in English as well as other languages), I would use this extensively, especially for nouns. Obviously this is only useful to a certain point--anything beyond basic verbs or lexical phrases is probably not going to have a clear pictorial representation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think using tools like mapquest connects online usage to an immediate real world need as well as makes use of a prominent tool. Using visual representation can often help peolpe feel more connected to a more tangiable sense, but I, like others, still find myself more comfortable with printouts as my learning style tends toward a more paper based form. How did your students respond to implementing internet use? Did you find that some students were more reluctant than others or maintained used of other less advanced mediums?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think the website could be helpful in making the visual-sound connection. It's a bit like that Total Physical Response theory of relating something tangible to a word or action... though in this case it's digital. The only thing that I *don't* like is that as someone who doesn't carry around a laptop or use an iPhone/Blackberry it wouldn't be available when the students are out and about which brings up some of the limitations of computers as learning tools. (Though admittedly this is becoming less of a problem here... more of a problem in EFL contexts).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'm going to try this again, apparently my first comment didn't post. I really liked the link to language guide and think it can be really useful in building vocabulary, for any language. It reminded me of a picture dictionary but with the convenience of online access.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the Language Guide is a very useful way for beginning learners to build their vocabularies through sound/sight recognition. The picture dictionary reminds me of traditional flashcards, with the added benefit of sound. I think hearing how a word is pronounced is so important when first learning a new language, so I like the fact that this dictionary incorporates sound. Lack of sound is a downside to traditional, paper flashcards.
    I like the convenience of the site for use both during and outside of class, provided students have access to the Internet outside of class. It would be interesting to note how many of your students use the online dictionary outside of class.
    Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Language Guide seems useful for beginning learners. But I think the students need to be well instructed to use it effectively. It might be fun for students to use it, but it does not necessarily work well for their improvement (they can just play with it, and not learn vocabulary). If students know how to use it effectively, then it is going to be a good material for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jesse, Aja, Bill, Jessina, Kristen, and Kuma,

    Thank you so much for your feedback!

    ReplyDelete