Thursday, January 21, 2010

Reading Activities using CALL

I found the Learning Resources website while searching for reading activities requiring computer-use. (http://www.literacynet.org/cnnsf/archives.html) The available variety of news topics allows for learner-choice, or an instructor could use one of the news stories as part of a themed lesson. If I were to use a story from this site as part of a themed lesson, I would add a pre-reading schema activation segment and a post-reading activity or two to be done in pairs/groups.

On the site, there are twelve categories of stories from which to choose. Each story is accompanied by vocabulary-building activities, as well as activities for sequencing events and checking reading comprehension. Having these activities readily available in a margin on the left side of the page, a learner will be able to work independently and at his/her on pace. One can do the practice activities on the left side of the screen while being able to view the story on the right.

Question(s):
Upon viewing the site, did you find it to be useful? Is it something that you could see yourself using in a class? How would you incorporate the given activities into an ESL lesson?

4 comments:

  1. Articles on such a wide variety of topics are always good. I have always felt that its easier to springboard into readings with topics like health and environment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an excellent CALL tool not only for reading but also for learning vocabulary and writing skills. I definitely can see myself using it in class.I like the fact that there is a variety of news topics taken from authentic resources like the CNN and CBS. If I were to use this website, I would activate my students' schema by discussing their opinions about the assigned topics and I will incorporate the the vocabulary activity by having my students work on this exercise after reading the text and let them infer the meaning from context. Then, the vocabulary will be discussed in order to give students the chance to work on the rest of the activities. As a post reading activity, I will ask my students to work on the "your turn" exercise in order to improve my students writing skills and to encourage them to publicly share their personal views about the assigned topics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the website you refer to could be beneficial for the ESL students in part because the readings provide authentic input. Second, students could incorporate various reading skills such as reading for main idea, skimming, scanning, inferring. As a follow up activity students could incorporate speaking and writing skills as well. Most importantly, this website gives students the opportunity to be independent learners (work at their own time and pace).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christina, Hanan, and Miglena,

    Thank you for the feedback! I'm glad that you found the site to be useful and took the time to suggest ways to expand upon the lessons on the website.

    ReplyDelete